Downtown San Diego is San Diego, California, the eighth-largest city in the United States. In 2010, the Centre City area had a population of more than 28,000. Downtown San Diego serves as the cultural and financial center and central business district of San Diego, with more than 4,000 businesses and nine communities. The downtown area is the San Diego Symphony, the San Diego Opera, multiple theaters, and several museums. The San Diego Convention Center and Petco Park, home of the San Diego Padres, are also located downtown. Downtown San Diego houses the local central headquarters of the city, county, state, and federal governments.
The downtown of San Diego was previously inhabited by the Kumeyaay, who referred to the area as Tisirr, and established a village called Pu-Shuyi near what is now Seaport Village. The city of San Diego was initially focused on Old Town near the Presidio, several miles north of the current Downtown. The location was not ideal because it was several miles from navigable water. In 1849 Lt. Andrew B. Gray, a surveyor working with the boundary commission to establish the boundaries of the new state of California suggested that an area closer to San Diego Bay would be a better location for a city because it would be better for trade. He proposed William Heath Davis, who recruited four other investors. The partners under Davis’s leadership purchased 160 acres (65 ha) of land in what is now Downtown San Diego. They laid out a street plan for New Town and built a wharf and warehouse.
Located in Central San Diego, Downtown San Diego is delimited by San Diego Bay to the west and southwest, Bankers Hill, Middletown, Balboa Park to the north, Sherman Heights, and Golden Hills to the east, and Barrio Logan and Logan Heights to the southeast. San Diego International Airport is just northwest of downtown.
- The Gaslamp Quarter Historic District
- The Star of India and the Berkeley, historic ships berthed downtown at the B Street Pier.
- The Alfred Haines House at 2470 E Street
- The Armed Services YMCA at 500 West Broadway
- The Balboa Theatre at 868 Fourth Avenue EZ San Diego Junk Removal
- The former City of San Diego police headquarters, jail, and courts at 801 Market Street
- Eagles Hall at 733 Eighth Street
- The El Cortez Condominiums at 702 Ash Street the Hawthorne Inn at 2121 First Avenue
- Empanada Kitchen is located at 819 C St, San Diego, CA
- Tender Greens is located at 110 W Broadway, San Diego, CA
- Dobson’s Bar and Restaurant is located at 956 Broadway Cir, San Diego, CA
Check out other neighborhoods like Gaslamp Quarter